This is the literary weblog of Jeffrey W. Hull, M.D., a pediatrician. It is intended mainly as a place to maintain a collection of poetry created for the enjoyment of a few friends and as an archive for my family. All material is protected by US copyright.

Jeffrey Hull

Saturday, January 15, 2005

The Wind Upon the Waters

This little piece is meant to be read aloud with a swing, and a bit of an Irish brogue to give it some flavor. The last lines give a hint of what the poem is actually about.

The Wind upon the Waters

O the wind upon the waters makes
   The waves upon the sea;
The pounding of the ocean shakes
   This heart inside of me.
I stand upon the sandy strand
   And dream of days when we
Would stroll the land there hand in hand
   And dream of what we'd be.
I planned to be a sailor man
   And you'd wait patiently
To spy your man, his features tan,
   Come rollin' home to thee.
Regalin' tales of salty whales
   We'd stroll along the quay;
I'd furl my sails from ocean gales
   And follow you home to tea.
We'd have a lad, I'd be his dad,
   And bounce him on my knee,
And seldom sad for times I had
   When life was wild and free.
O the wind upon the waters makes
   The waves upon the sea;
And the pounding of the ocean breaks
   This heart inside of me.


© 2004 Jeffrey Hull

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts