This is the literary weblog of Jeffrey W. Hull, M.D., a pediatrician. It is intended mainly as a place to maintain a collection of poetry created for the enjoyment of a few friends and as an archive for my family. All material is protected by US copyright.

Jeffrey Hull

Friday, May 27, 2005

Fortress

Upon the rack of circumstance
   Where life had tried to break me,
I followed gods of time and chance
   Wherever they would take me.

So time and chance they thrashed me hard,
   Which only served to steel me;
My heart was scarred, I kept my guard,
   Afraid it would reveal me.

A stony castle on a hill
   Now ever would protect me.
Heart's hardened walls and force of will:
   No lover could reject me.

'Til Love and Hope, by craft and guile
   Attacked my keep to save me:
Hope's hidden door and secret stile
   Let Love in to enslave me.


© 2005 Jeffrey Hull

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts