This is the literary weblog of Jeffrey W. Hull, M.D., a pediatrician. It is intended mainly as a place to maintain a collection of poetry created for the enjoyment of a few friends and as an archive for my family. All material is protected by US copyright.

Jeffrey Hull

Friday, December 30, 2005

Paternity

I saw you in my heart, my son,
   Before your eyes were born;
I knew the path your feet would run
   Before your shoes were worn.

Before the earth was made of stone,
   Before the clouds were white;
Before the western wind had blown–
   I dreamt of you by night.

Anterior to every star,
   To water, wind and flame–
The sky foretold the man you are
   And whispered you a name.


© 2005 Jeffrey Hull

2 Comments:

May you and all your sons have a wonderful new year, Jeff. Thanks for giving your readers so much pleasure during this past year.
Thank you, and best wishes for your new year as well.

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts