This is the literary weblog of Jeffrey W. Hull, M.D., a pediatrician. It is intended mainly as a place to maintain a collection of poetry created for the enjoyment of a few friends and as an archive for my family. All material is protected by US copyright.

Jeffrey Hull

Friday, February 01, 2008

Mockingbird


Northern mockingbird. Wikipedia Commons




A cheery song I lately heard
   That floated from a fence whereon
In rebel gray, a friend averred
   That I should rise to greet the dawn

That poked its head above the verge
   And splashed the clouds with hopeful red
Where moon and sunlight daily merge—
   But I in sickness stayed abed.

Some intuition gently stirred,
   I bid the curtains open drawn;
I know now what the mockingbird
   Will lilt aloft when I am gone.


© 2008 Jeffrey Hull

2 Comments:

Jeffrey, your poems are magnificent! Lewie
Pops:

Your rhythm is getting solid. I've been going through a weak phase but am now on the rise. Springish even.

Oz

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts